In some ways it feels like we are on a short vacation, and in other ways it feels like we’ve always been here! Really, I feel I have lost all track of time! I had to really think about what day it was today, and then I had to think even harder to realize we arrived just one week ago today.
I SHOULD have spent more time unpacking…
or should I have?
In this one short week, I have…
- Begun baking again. Mostly breakfast foods, but on this rainy afternoon some chocolate chip cookies sounded amazing!
- Watched my son bike through countless mud puddles, as I jogged beside him down our favorite road. (For those of you wondering, LEFT. Always left!)
- Spotted countless birds, including a red tailed hawk, robins, black beak magpies, killdeer, and two bald eagles. OH! And, 2 wild turkeys, which Boba almost yanked my arm off trying to chase!
- Watched as my kids explored the outdoors — biking our property, or running off to the neighbors. Xavi spends about half his days jumping on the neighbors’ trampoline or riding their side by side!
- Let my boys go days without a shower before I realized they were filthy.
- Gathered finger prints on the windows while the kids climbed onto the buffet and jumped from one mattress to another.
- Bought a new mattress for Daniel and I!!!
- Tried a local coffee shop.
- Set-up my coffee station so that I could enjoy my own coffee and our view in the mornings.
- Walked to the neighbors to bring them muffins.
- Sat on their old rocking chairs and listened to them tell us about local flowers, trees, and birds. (Sweetest old couple on the planet!)
- Listened as the kids practiced their show each day for hours.
- Watched said show in amazement that these were my kids — when did they learn to choreograph and dance? (and get along!?!?!?)
- Stared at a rainbow for longer than I want to admit.
- Chased Boba down this field as he chased a deer — 3 times already, now! (I realized I don’t really have to chase her; she always comes back!)
- Watched as my peonies magically bloomed!
- Picked some wildflowers and grass along with my peonies to bring inside.
- Found out from neighbors that these were peonies!
- Picked up far too much fast food from town, (though it was close and yummy!)
- Began cooking once I finally grocery shopped and unpacked pots and pans!
- Looked out the window to see kiddos in the distance (see, on the left?) multiple times a day.
- Had my aunt over for coffee and unpacking
- Ate far too many drumsticks by the fire pit.
There are dozens more pictures I could post and probably scores of thoughts I could record. It’s been a busy, full week. In between it all, we did, of course, begin to get unpacked. The kids’ rooms are actually mostly done, though two closets need organizers and pictures need to be hung. Our room is a pit and I am ok with that since I really haven’t been in there except to sleep.
Daniel is back to work, and when I talked to him today, I told him about my afternoon at the neighbors’ house, and then some long conversations on the phone connecting with a local friend. “Basically, I got nothing done.” I told him.
“Nothing? I’d say building relationships is something!” he replied. And, you know what? He’s right! So glad I married such a wise man!